The City of Torrance, through the Cultural Arts Commission, manages a grant program for Non-Profit Arts Organizations and individuals serving Torrance residents. A total of $5,000 has been allocated by the City Council for the grants.
Organizations and individuals are eligible to receive Community Art Grant funds to assist the development and presentation of programs and projects in the visual, performing and literary arts. All grant funds must be matched 1 to 1 by the recipient.Priority will be given to projects demonstrating the greatest artistic quality, service to the Torrance public and diversity of audiences.
Qualifications for Grants:
- Applicants must be Torrance based or must provide proof of significant service to Torrance residents.
- All grants will be for one-time projects, programs, exhibits or other qualifying ventures.
- A grant should be for a particular program or project of the organization, rather than for general operating support.
- Arts Organizations seeking grant funding must provide proof with the application of non-profit status under Section 501(C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Section 2370 Id of the California Franchise Tax Code. Individuals must provide the name of a fiscal receiver and their proof of non-profit status.
- Successful applicants may reapply for a grant the following year by the same process, but not to exceed two consecutive years of funding.
- All programs and projects must be open to the general public.
- Artistic quality
- Ability to demonstrate evidence of unmet need for which the grant funding is being sought.
- Appropriateness and clarity of scope regarding the project or program to be funded.
- History of past performance and service by the applicant organization.
- The availability of the service to Torrance residents.
- Impact of grant on organization and public.
Grant applications are available as of March 1 and are usually due in May. Awards are generally available by the successful applicants by July 1. Projects must be completed during the July 1 – June 30 fiscal year.
2018 grant applications and guidelines are available here: