The City of Torrance, through the Cultural Arts Commission, manages a grant program for Non-Profit Arts Organizations and individuals serving Torrance residents. A total of $5,000 has been allocated by the City Council for the grants. No grant amount awarded will exceed $1,000.
Organizations and individuals are eligible to receive up to $1,000 in Community Art Grant funds to assist the development and presentation of programs and projects in the visual, performing and literary arts. All grant funds must be matched 1 to 1 by the recipient.Priority will be given to projects demonstrating the greatest artistic quality, service to the Torrance public and diversity of audiences.
Qualifications for Grants:
- Applicants must be Torrance based or must provide proof of significant service to Torrance residents.
- All grants will be for one-time projects, programs, exhibits or other qualifying ventures.
- A grant should be for a particular program or project of the organization, rather than for general operating support.
- Arts Organizations seeking grant funding must provide proof with the application of non-profit status under Section 501(C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Section 2370 Id of the California Franchise Tax Code. Individuals must provide the name of a fiscal receiver and their proof of non-profit status.
- Successful applicants may reapply for a grant the following year by the same process, but not to exceed two consecutive years of funding.
- All programs and projects must be open to the general public.
- Artistic quality
- Ability to demonstrate evidence of unmet need for which the grant funding is being sought.
- Appropriateness and clarity of scope regarding the project or program to be funded.
- History of past performance and service by the applicant organization.
- The availability of the service to Torrance residents.
- Impact of grant on organization and public.
Grant applications are available as of March 1 and are usually due in May. Awards are generally available by the successful applicants by July 1. Projects must be completed during the July 1 – June 30 fiscal year.
Grant applications and guidelines are available here