The fully equipped James R. Armstrong Theatre is perfect for performance and lecture events and includes flexible lighting, sound, and stage features. The 502-seat theatre hosts professional and community productions, large-scale meetings, film screenings, and seminars. The auditorium's plush seating and superior acoustics ensure quality entertainment from every seat, while the backstage scene shop and dressing rooms provide critical resources for performing groups and events.
Take a 3-D Tour of the James R. Armstrong Theatre
- Theatre seating: 194 orchestra center, 154 orchestra right and left, with removable seats allowing for six wheelchair spaces in various locations.
- Permanent handrails throughout the perimeter of the Theatre House to aid with seating.
- State-of-the-art stage and house lighting, audio system, intercom and monitors.
- Adjustable proscenium with stage dimensions of 39 x 89 feet and a performance area of 34 x 40 feet.
- Fly loft with a height of 55 feet from stage to gridiron.
- Full set of black background and masking drapes with cyclorama.
- Orchestra shell composed of seven portable floor units that are six feet wide and varying in
height; hinged side panels and three "clouds" with integrated lighting.
- Orchestra pit (with adjustable heights) of 324 square feet for up to 25 musicians.
- Platform and choral risers, lecterns, music stands and chairs.
- Nine foot concert grand, six foot grand and studio upright pianos.
- Multi-purpose audiovisual equipment with cable television linkages to other areas of the Center
and a projection screen of 10 x 20 feet.
- Adjustable acoustical curtains that enhance the quality of spoken or musical sound.
- Fully equipped dressing rooms (two star and two chorus), performers' restrooms, and hospitality
- Box office with two sales windows, computerized ticketing system, and convenient telephone and internet ticket purchases by credit card.
- Lobby area with full amenities, including a marble counter for food service with adjacent refrigeration units, accessible restrooms, and public telephones. When the theatre is not occupied by a performance, the lobby architecture creates an impressive setting for social gatherings and small business, or banquet events.
For reservations and additional information, please call (310) 618.6339, or submit an inquiry to TCAC@TorranceCA.Gov